This educational institution was founded in 1912. The founder, Wasa Mori, believed that there was an urgent need for moral education in the education of women and established the private Mori Sewing School for Girls in Hyogo-ku, Kobe City. The objectives of the school were education of the heart and feelings as the basis of the mind, strong education and the education of people that are truly useful to society. Wasa Mori then continued strict training and diligent study herself as she nurtured women that possessed the virtue originally present in Japanese women with steadfast conviction. As a result, the school prospered and in 1918 it was renamed the Mori School for Girls. It coped with the social conditions after World War Ⅰ and in 1923 founded the Mori Girls' High School as a joint establishment and put even greater effort into the education of girls. In 1936, it sought a new school site in Egeyama-cho, Hyogo-ku, Kobe City and transferred to newly built school buildings. During the difficult times during wartime, it continued the education of women with conviction.
The study system was changed completely after World War Ⅱ and this meant that the name was changed to become the Kobe Mori Girls' High School and Junior High School and the organization was reorganized to become an incorporated educational institution. The spirit of the founder was inherited and efforts were made to further enrich and develop the educational institution, which continued to make a contribution to female education after the war.
Later on, as the momentum towards the establishment of universities increased, an application was made to the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture (currently: the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) in 1951 for the establishment of a junior college with a domestic science evening course. This application was made on consideration of the situation of the educational facilities and the fact that there were hardly any night course institutions within Kobe City offering a junior college or greater education for women. Permission was granted and in March of the following year, 1952, the Kobe Mori Women's Junior College was established.
Later, in 1966, the Kobe Gakuin University was opened in Ikawadani-cho, Tarumi-ku, Kobe City (currently: Ikawadani-cho, Nishi-ku, Kobe City), with Shigeki Mori as the first President. Initially it was a college offering just one course of study, in the Faculty of Nutrition, but this was the first Faculty of Nutrition in Japan to teach both men and women and that foresight and originality is a subject of pride for the University today. Later on, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Economics were established in 1967, the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in 1972, the Faculty of Humanities and Science was established in 1990, the Faculty of Business Administration was established in 2004 and the Faculty of Rehabilitation was established in 2005. The University therefore developed to become the largest private university in Kobe City with a good balance of cultural, social and natural studies. Furthermore, the University opened the Faculty of Contemporary Social Studies in 2014 and opened the Faculty of Global Communication in 2015. This Faculty of Global Communication provides all-round training on practical and high-level language ability and the communication skills that are essential to use that ability.
In order to nurture excellent personnel who can respond to the information-oriented society and the globalized society, the University started early to promote education of information technology and has invited guest professors from overseas to give lectures and language training. In addition to working to enrich the educational and research environment in terms of both its hardware and software aspects, the University has also carried out various activities as a university open to the local society, including extension courses and concerts.